This is going to be a short post about what synthesis writing is about. I am considering whether to start a synthesis category for my blog. The idea is that all the knowledge that I have to process should be captured somewhere. I am hoping that I can sustainably do this with this blog. I fear however that it might require more time from me that I currently have.
What is synthesis writing?
It would seem that synthesis is the merging of two or more sources of information together into one source. Some other definitions are below.
…refers to a combination of two or more entities that together form something new. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesis
Ideas and observations of the writer on a particular subject are combined with those of other persons who have done extensive research on that subject. http://essaypaperblog.com/research-paper-writing/how-to-write-a-synthesis-essay
At its most basic level a synthesis involves combining two or more summaries.
- It accurately reports information from the sources using different phrases and sentences;
- It makes sense of the sources and helps the reader understand them in greater depth.
- It is organized in such a way that readers can immediately see where the information from the sources overlap;
What types of synthesis writing are there?
It would seem that there are two major types of synthesis.
- Combining various literary sources into one document in a relative theme.
- Combining a single literary source with personal perspective.